|By JoAnne Moore
Smart Start Home Education Edition was written specifically for home educators. It is also an invaluable resource for teacher assistants working with individual or small groups of students.
*Child is guided by a workbook that introduces reading, writing and spelling skills in a sequential order. These are applied in the lessons and reviewed until mastery is obtained.
*Parents discover a simple, effective method of teaching reading and writing using a teacherís manual. Lesson plans and answer keys are presented in a simple, straightforward manner.
- The binder contains two reproducible workbooks and four DVDs. The workbook material can be used with all the children in ONE family, because it can be photocopied. If you have only one child, you can use the pages in the binder as a consumable workbook.
- The first workbook is for grade one and the second workbook for grade two. A tab divider separates the two workbooks.
- Behind the second workbook is a colored page indicating a final section which contains a short summary of reading and comprehension strategies. These are supported by research.
- The first DVD contains thirteen I SPY photographs for the alphabet lessons, and printable sight word and phonics games (lotto and bingo) for reading instruction fun. The other three DVDs have thirty-five puppet shows which introduce letter sounds, long vowel words with silent e and long vowel words with two vowels together.
- Lesson plans and detailed instructions are located in the grade one and grade two teacher's manuals.
"Starting out as a homeschool mom, I was hesitant to teach my child to read and write, worried that I wouldn't succeed. Smart start in language Arts Home Education Edition put my mind at ease and it became our favorite part of our day! It was easy to follow and told me exactly what to teach and how to teach it so my daughter could understand. Reading and writing has become my daughter's favorite subjects and she constantly asks to read books and write stories! I highly recommend this program to anyone who is homeschooling!"
JoAnne Moore has put together one thorough language arts program that is a breeze to implement in one's home education program. My child and I not only liked the variety, but that the lessons were short and sweet. It is great for both auditory and visual learning styles. I have noticed a progressive improvement in my son's reading, printing, spelling and creative writing since we've started using JoAnne's program. I like how the lessons are laid out (very easy to present) and I particularly like the use of "real" books for story time to share with your child. We're heading into the Grade 2 portion soon and looking forward to it.